Sandra Dee Dates

Tales from a sweet and innocent girl next door. Well, okay. Maybe not that innocent.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Holy Smokes, Batman!

It's time to play Guess What Happened to Sandra Dee Today!

Did she:

A. Make out with a random stranger?



B. Come into work totally hung over?



C. Go on a really bad date?



or

D. Gather all her crap together as she watched her apartment complex burn down?



If you guessed D, you're correct! Tell them what they've won, Rob!

Well, okay. So it didn't burn down, but the 75 foot flames were blazing through 180 acres of a golf course that's about an eighth of a mile south of my home.

And they were telling the apartment residents to evacuate the premises. It was moving toward the complex.

Awesome.

Soooooo. Yeahhhhh. I got a phone call from my Mom at work about it -- and she never calls me at work. I hung up and mentioned it to my boss. "Go home!" she said. I was about halfway there, and I could see the smoke billowing up and blowing everywhere.

I exited off the interstate and pulled up to the entrance to the apartment complex. Cops and firemen were everywhere, but I could still get to my building.

Sprinting up the stairs, I mentally went through where my file box was, my irreplaceable jewelry, and other valuables. I threw open the door, grabbed and bag and started throwing stuff in it. And, according to the news, so were my neighbors.

After I stuffed the valuables into my car and called Mom to let her know I was okay, I called my cousin who lives down the street from me. I asked her if I could come hang out until the flames and smoke died down. She said she would be glad to have me. She and I watched the breaking news about the incident, chatted and then decided to go to dinner, Jimmy Buffet style.

I came back to the complex about three hours later. The smoke had cleared, and the fire was out. Nothing had touched my building, but some of the other buildings were covered black. Yuck.

At least no one was hurt.

Gah. My friends say my life could be a soap opera.

9 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Flamingos & Flip Flops said...

Wow...what a night you had! Oh, how I love Cheeseburger in Paradise's Starboard Salad...yummy!

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger jo said...

oh my gosh! i'm glad that no one got hurt though...

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger East Coast Teacher said...

So glad everything turned out ok and that nobody was hurt!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Amber said...

I'm glad your place didn't burn down! That would have been horrible (I say as if I'm the only one who would have ever thought of that). Anyway, glad you're safe!

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

C'mon, Sandy, you're not applying yourself.

You could totally have accomplished:

E: All of the above

with some effort. The fire was the difficult one to organize; the rest were a snap.

Wombat

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like you had an interesting day! I don't know when the blog is going to start, I might have rethink it...I will definitely let you know though! Hope your life is grand!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Whoa, glad everything was safe.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger nolatravelgirl said...

Yowser! Glad your apartment building was spared!

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

OMG! I am glad you're ok! And your home too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home