Sandra Dee Dates

Tales from a sweet and innocent girl next door. Well, okay. Maybe not that innocent.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Talk

And now? As promised.

The Talk.

Spending the majority of the weekend with Sixty, I was really looking forward to spending the evening by myself on Monday. I had worked late, worked out, and even had to bring work home with me. The combination of all of that screamed "I need alone time," and I was actually excited about a night by myself.

After peeling off my sweaty gym clothes, showering and dressing, I was ready to get to work in front of the computer. As I was gathering my things, I looked at my phone and saw that Sixty had called and left a message.

"Hey, Sandra Dee. It's Sixty. I was hoping to maybe see you for 30 minutes or so tonight. I had an awful day today and just wanted someone to talk with about it. Okay. Call me back."

Oh boy. The sensitive Momish-side of me said: "Poor thing! Whatever I can do to help, I'll do." The selfish, I-need-my-space-side of me said: "Dammit. I have work to do, and I just spent most of my weekend with him. He can get over it."

And as most of you can guess? I'm too nice. The Mom side in me won. Sigh. My name's not goodie-two-shoes Sandra Dee for nothin'.

So I called him back and told him that he was more than welcome to come over, but he really was going to have to leave after that because I had lots of work to do for that week. He totally understood, but rushed over.

We sat on the couch, and maaaaaan. He did have a pretty crappy day. And bless his heart. He even teared up a little over it. Talk about feeling awful for thinking about not calling him back.

Sitting on the couch for a bit, I finally told him I had to get my work done, but that he was welcome to stay and watch TV - he doesn't have cable - and I felt awful about pushing him out. He took me up on that, and I started pecking away at my work in my bedroom.

About an hour later, I was almost finished, but not quite. I got up and started fiddling around in the kitchen. "What are you doing?" he asked. "Making you some brownies," I said. Come on. Who doesn't love brownies after they've had a bad day? He said no one had ever done anything like that for him before. (You thought I was kidding about the Mom comment earlier? My friends even make fun of me for being like a mom with them. Seriously.)

I went back to typing. After the timer for the brownies went off, I decided to call it a night with the work. Besides, it wasn't very nice to leave Sixty out in the living room, by himself, after having such a crap-ass day. I wouldn't want that if I were him. So I came out and layed down on top of his chest.

We layed there for a bit, then I remembered that earlier in the day, I noticed that Sixty had hidden his Match.com profile. Hmmm.

"So I saw today that you hid your Match profile," I said. "What's up with that?" Looooooong pause. Crap.

"I did it because I don't want to date anyone else but you," he said.

Another long pause. My heart skipped a beat, and I got those little butterflies in my tummy. I wasn't really sure what to say next.

"Oh. Okay." Why did I say that?! Why am I such an idiot?! I freakin' suck at this conversation. I started laughing, nervously.

"Um. Sorry," I said. "So, uh, does that, um, mean, that, uh, we're like, uh, boyfriend and girlfriend?" I am such a retard! Why do I have to be so awkward???

"Would you wear my class ring?" he said, in a mocking tone of voice, laughing. "Maybe wear my letter jacket? Yes. I would like you to be my girlfriend," he smiled.

I felt like we just had the lamest conversation ever. Seriously.

"That sounds great!" I said as I kissed him. YAY! I know what y'all are thinking. We haven't been dating very long and we're having The Talk. But you know what? I'm at a point in my life where I don't need to be having multiple dates and keeping my options open and all of that stuff. I've done that all before. And it's just not me.

I'm ready for a commitment. I haven't had one of those for a very long time. I'm ready to work at this. I'm ready to have someone constant in my life. Dating with a purpose. That's what he and I call it. And it's so true.

I couldn't be happier to have found this guy.

Anyway. He ate the brownies, said they were delish, and grabbed a glass of milk and a make-out session to wash them down with. What? Oh! Did I type that? Sorry. So I packed up the brownies and sent them home with him. On his way out the door, we talked about our plans for Saturday - where we have to chaperone a date party for my sorority. I'm pumped about it, and I hope he is, too. It should be fun.

I pushed him playfully out the door. "Bye, girlfriend," he said, grinning.

Ahhh, yes. I really like the sound of that.

13 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you Sandra! This guy sounds great, he really does. Keep us updated!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Okie said...

I'm jealous. Because of the brownies.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see you on Saturday. Tell Sixty I said hi.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Awwww. AWWWWWW!! I'm so happy for you!!!

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T minus three weeks until we see a post about "The Sex Talk".

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Sandra Dee. you probably know what I would really say about all of this, but because you are a very good friend of mine I'm just going to say "I think I just threw up in my mouth a little."

Just kidding that is so amazing, it really sounds like you have a keeper on your hands!!

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!!! that it sooooo exciting... He sounds absolutely wonderful!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger ercwttmn said...

great story!, and from a guys point of view, brownies somehow have the ability to make everything better.

it sounds like you had a wonderful night!

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He really does sound like a keeper. ;-)

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger jo said...

wow! i'm really happy for you!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I hope you guys had fun the other night. I think I did, I don't really remember! And if I called him Sixty at any point during the incredibly long night I apologize! Love ya dear!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Awwww. that is such a cute story. I am very happy for you! How was the party?

Oh, and next time I have a crappy day, I am finding you Sandra Dee. You sounds excellent at taking care of people.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to thinking about this... chocolate is an aphrodesiac. No small suprise he washed it down with some love'n.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home