Sandra Dee Dates

Tales from a sweet and innocent girl next door. Well, okay. Maybe not that innocent.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Grateful.

You know those tourist information centers that you see on sides of highways?

I had to volunteer at one yesterday. As part of Tourism Week in my state, I passed out literature and brochures about traveling around the area.

You're probably thinking it was a giant snooze fest. And part of it was. But let me just tell y'all what: It was a lesson for me.

Three-fourths of the people walking into that info center looked like they didn't have enough money to afford lunch. My heart just broke watching a family of four come in asking if we had any information on the zoo.

None of them had taken showers that day or even had on clean clothes. I teared up a bit as I heard them ask the front desk for coupons. I had several at my booth.

I walked over and gave them a handful. You would have thought I was handing them gold. Thanking me up and down.

Still, a piece of me felt it wasn't enough. A piece of me wanted to give them every bit of cash I had in my wallet. And I would have given them my clothes, too, if I thought that would do any good. I just felt so helpless.

Those parents wanted so badly to show their kids a good time. I hoped I could help them do that.

After the family left, I thought about how blessed I am. A great education. A fabulous apartment. Money for necessities and a little left over for amenities. A steady job. Clean clothes and running water. These people probably didn't know half of what it was like to live as I do.

I am so grateful for the gifts I've been given in my life.

7 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those poor dirty people you saw are generally called Texans.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger jo said...

sometimes we complain so much bout this and that in our lives and it's only when we see someone else who has even less than what we have that we feel really grateful.

oh i saw american idol last nite and thought of what you said bout kat. i think you're right. she's beginning to annoy me. though she does have a lovely voice. i really wished chris was here to just win it.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww you're a sweetheart! Well said, we need to appreciate the things we have.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

That is so sad. Thanks for reminding all of us to focs on what we have.

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what I liked about you when we first met. You are very motherly and compassionate. This is also the reason I had to apologize for not going xyz.
Don't listen to my boyfriend ... he has no heart.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Some Random Girl said...

how sweet. I gave a homeless guy my cliff bar to eat the other day. Sometimes just being kind makes you feel good.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a heart. I have a huge heart. I just dislike Texans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home