Sandra Dee Dates

Tales from a sweet and innocent girl next door. Well, okay. Maybe not that innocent.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Delightful

Sixty's mom was absolutely delightful.

Bubbly, fun, low-maintenance. My kind of lady. And she thought I was - suprisingly - hilarious. She laughed at everything I said.

Lemme back up.

Driving to Sixty's hometown on Saturday afternoon, we got there a bit earlier than she was expecting. He called her when we were about five mintues away.

She wasn't finished vaccuuming. "Go get coffee!" she said, frantically.

How funny.

So we picked up Starbucks - and my super thoughtful boyfriend picked some up for his mother, too - and stuck around there for a while. As my latte was cooling off, I was heating up. Sweating that is. I mean, come on. I was a tad nervous.

We pulled up to the door, and this gigantic Cujo of a Boston terrier comes lunging towards the open door. Damn thing jumped all over me, slobbering profusely, and yipping like a mo' fo'. Sixty and I were so busy getting the damn dog settled down that I didn't even pay attention to his mother in front of us.

"Oh! Hi!" I said. "Mrs. Sixty - it's so nice to meet you!" I said politely.

"You, too, Sandra Dee," she replied. "Come on in."

Sixty gave her a hug and her coffee, and we headed to the den to sit and chat. I really didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. She was so easy to get along with and was so genuine with me. I really like those kind of people.

Sixty had decided that we would go get something for dinner and then see Mission Impossible: III, and that sounded fine with me. We headed out the door about 5:30, and Sixty insisted on driving. "I drive Mom around all the time when I come by myself," he said. "It's no big deal." How super cute.

Dinner was fantastic, and the movie was equally as good - if you look past the fact that I sat between him and his mother. Does anyone think that's a little awkward? Whateva.

We got back to her house, chatted some more, and headed out. I told Sixty right when we got back into the car, "I really like her, Sixty. She's just delightful."

"She liked you, too," he smiled. "I could just tell."

I'd say Operation Meet the Mom spelled success.

7 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger jo said...

sixty's mom sounds lovely. and i'm glad that you made a great impression on her. i always find that in a relationship it's great if you get along with the parentals.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Amber said...

She does sound very cool. And isn't it a relief when you know you've made a good impression?

 
At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sandy! The question on everyone's mind!

What did you wear that the pooch slobbered all over?

Wombat

*why do some dog owners think it's charming that the animal goes straight for the goolies upon meeting? Ick*

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Sandra Dee said...

I had on light-colored khakis - beautifully pressed from the cleaners - and a denim jacket.

Praise Jesus my clothes made it through alive.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Adam said...

too cute...

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you Sandra!!! We MUST do something this summer! Oh, congratulations on a successful weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home