Sandra Dee Dates

Tales from a sweet and innocent girl next door. Well, okay. Maybe not that innocent.

Monday, August 28, 2006

How Liberating

Do you ever have those days where nothing -- nothing -- can bring you down?

Today was one of those days.

I woke up to a morning of cool weather. It hasn't been in the 60s since about March, and you better believe I was excited. If only I had had some warm chai latte to sip while sitting on my porch, my day would have started out that much better.

Perhaps tomorrow. Sigh.

My boss called in sick. I was a powerhouse with my to-do list. My normally frizzy hair was behaving itself perfectly. My brand new computer is finally working superbly -- and it's by far the fastest thing I have ever used in my life. I got to get away from the office to run a few errands. And and and! On my way to run errands, I passed a place that would have normally reminded me of him. And I didn't even think of the connection until I got back to the office.

That's when I know. That's when I know it's official. I'm over it.

How liberating.

After work, I was scheduled to present to one of the student organizations at the local university. Trudging over to the campus, I finally found the building where I was supposed to meet everyone. I found the room and walked in.

And it was packed, people! I bet there were 50 or 60 people in there! I was speaking about how to put together a PR portfolio; not about a missions trip to China for crying out loud! Who the heck wants to listen about portfolios?!

I was really nervous when I got started. But after a while, I got into it, and it was actually pretty loose. They were hanging on my every word. Taking notes. Asking a million great questions. Being attentive.

Afterwards, one of two of the officers said "You were the best speaker we've ever had." The advisor even told me this, too. Sheesh. Talk about driving home on cloud nine. I had no idea that my presentation would even be helpful, let alone the best speaker they've ever had. Geez.

To top it all off, I came home to find a package on my front doorstep.

I had visited yet another church last week, and they came by to drop off cookies for me! They're homemade, too!

But the best part of the day? As I was filling out my calendar at work, I realized that I am becoming more involved in so many new and exciting things than ever before. I'm delving into things that I never would have gotten into had I still been attached.

Prioritizing my life to focus around God and making new friends is something that I am more than excited about.

How liberating.

But oh no no. Don't you worry. I'll still have room for a date or two every now and then.

In fact? There's a certain someone that I just can't help but stop thinking about...

12 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger cmk said...

Congrats on your great day!

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger East Coast Teacher said...

And you're not going to tell us who this certain someone is?

Glad to hear your journey as a single girl is fabulous, too!

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a cliffhanger! lol

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Thomas said...

I would be jealous of your day if I didn't like you so much.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to hear about the guy, but they always say when you are busy doing other things you will meet that awesome man!

Before moving to DC I volunteered with my church youth group for 2 yrs and it was some of the most enriching time of my life! The kiddos still send me emails about what is going on in their lives. I love getting prom photos and grad pics from them. Almost makes me wish I was 16 again!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger jo said...

there's nothing like knowing you're officially over a guy...

glad you had a great day. and are you gonna tell us who this new certain someone is? :P

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

YAY!


And when I walked out and felt the temp so low, I was SO excited.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger The Dummy said...

You rock! Now all you need is a lottery ticket to top it all off. :)

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger DCVita said...

OH HOW AWESOME! I am so excited for you. Having one of those days is so refreshing! I guess the changing of the seasons is having an affect on all of us one way or another. Keep us posted on all the excitement!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger ercwttmn said...

sounds like a great day, and it does help when you have someone to think about

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I love those days! I'm so glad for you that you had one!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Ally said...

It's amazing (although it shouldn't be) how life falls into place when we have our focus on God. I'm glad you're seeking him and being blessed for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home